GCP Discovery Items
|Cloud Service/Object Name||Name Where to locate in D42||Accessed API||Information Generated|
|K8s (GKE) Discovery||Devices –> Unknown||https://www.googleapis.com/discovery/v1/apis/compute/v1/rest https://www.googleapis.com/discovery/v1/apis/container/v1/rest||Containers, pods, clusters|
|Networks (as VRF Groups)||Network –> VRF Groups||https://www.googleapis.com/discovery/v1/apis/compute/v1/rest||Name|
|Subnets||Networks –> Subnets||https://www.googleapis.com/discovery/v1/apis/compute/v1/rest||Mask, name, VRF Group|
|SQL DB||https://www.googleapis.com/discovery/v1/apis/sqladmin/v1beta4/rest||Tables, instances, etc.|
|VMs||Devices –> All Devices||https://www.googleapis.com/discovery/v1/apis/compute/v1/rest||Type, Name, RAM, OS, CPU, cores, etc.|
For Google Cloud Discovery, you will need a user account with the built-in Google Cloud Platform “Viewer” role.
Configuring Google Cloud Discovery
Device42 can now discover your inventory on the Google Cloud Platform. Simply create a new job, add your credentials, and you’ll be off discovering all of your GCP VMs. Begin by creating a new Google cloud discovery job:
1) Create a new “Cloud Autodiscovery” job from the Discovery, and choose Google Cloud.
2) Browse to your Google Cloud Engine JSON keyfile. Open it in a text editor and copy the contents:
3) Paste the copied JSON in its entirety into the password field:
4) Save and run your job! Optionally, create a schedule to run it automatically!
Data discovered on the Google Cloud Platform is similar to what you might be used to on AWS EC2 instances, namely:
- Discovered Google Cloud VMs are added as virtual devices
- Cloud information is added inline in Device42 for each CI
Options for GCE are as follows:
- Select Kubernetes Discovery to discover Kubernetes clusters hosted on your cloud platform.
- Strip Domain Name: Strip domain name from discovered name (everything after the first period)
- Object category for discovered devices: Choose a category to assign to discovered devices
- Overwrite existing object categories: Select this option to overwrite any previously assigned categories with current selection