Tools of the Trade
We use many different applications and tools on a day-to-day basis that have made our lives a lot easier and would like to spread the word about some of our favorites in hopes that they’ll make your life easier too. We would like to thank all contributors to these applications.
- PyCharms Windows/Linux/Mac
- Git Version Control – Windows/Linux/Mac
- WinSCP Secure File Transfers – Windows
- CyberDuck Secure File Transfers – Mac
- Greenshot Advanced Screenshots – Windows
- Shutter Advanced Screenshots – Linux
Misc. Tips & Tricks
Creating encoded Credentials/text on Windows or Linux
- To encode in Windows, create a text file that has your username and password in “username:password” format and save as unencodedfile.txt. Then from the command line, type:
Certutil unencodedfile.txt encodedfile.txt
- Open the file
encodedfile.txtusing Notepad and copy the line between “Begin Certificate” and “End Certificate” – that’s your encoded text!
echo -n ‘username:password’ | base64