Intro to D42 Packet Capture
If you’d prefer written instructions for Packet Capture, see the Packet Capture documentation page here.
With Device42 Packet Capture you can discover service communications happening in real-time for any service listeners known to Device42. By listening directly to all network communications, you’ll easily discover communications that happen infrequently.
Packet Capture Prerequisites
- A functioning Device42 MA (destination for captured data), running v16.00.00+ or newer.
- Network communication allowed from the machine you’ll be capturing packets on to your Device42 MA.
- An active network adapter connected to the target traffic capture network.
- If using Windows, a WinPcap-compatible library (like npcap) must be installed – Be sure to select the option “install in API-Compatible mode”during setup!
- If using Linux, libpcap must be installed to support packet capture.
- OPTIONAL: Promiscuous mode [aka ‘monitor’ mode] enabled for the network and/or the interface of interest.
You can also watch Packet Capture 101 on on YouTube.