Setting up WDS (Windows Discovery Service) to Support WMI Discovery Through Main Appliance or Remote Collectors
Remote Collectors (RC) and/or the Device42 Appliance itself can now be connected directly to the Windows Discovery Service (WDS), thus enabling WMI discovery from the Device42 main appliance UI.
WDS has the following requirements:
- The .NET service must be installed on a Windows machine that has .NET installed on it.
- The .NET service installer can be downloaded from Our Auto-Discovery tools download page
Installing the WDS service
1) Download the current WDS .msi installer file using the link above.
2) Run the downloaded Device42Discovery.msi installer. Click on “Next” and follow the prompts to continue with the installation:
3) Point to your Device42 Main Appliance or your chosen RC Endpoint:
a. Enter the Remote Collector IP address or FQDN in the first field.
b. Generate an OTP from the main Device42 appliance UI [for both an RC connection or a Device42 connection] for the second field. This can be found by navigating to Tools > Autodiscovery > Remote Collectors:
4) Accept the default installation directory for the WDS service [optionally, specify a custom install path]:
5) Click next to confirm installation:
6) Installation should now be complete. Remote collectors in the Device42 UI should now be renamed to reflect that the WDS has been set up and connected, and the WDS Service indicator icon will be ‘green’ as pictured below:
Creating a new WMI autodiscovery job
When creating a new Windows WMI autodiscovery job, choose the WDS connected to the Main Appliance, or the Remote Collector with WDS and configure the job settings to discover Windows Devices:
WARNING: Please do not set up an auto-discovery / scan using critical production account credentials!
Depending on permissions granted & your configured password policies, account lock-out could result in an otherwise avoidable outage. You, the customer, are responsible for any such behavior that might result if you choose to ignore this requirement.
Updating your WDS Installation
Please note that you Do not need to update your WDS installation separately. Once it has made its initial connection, updates to the WDS service are pushed automatically and are distributed with regular Device42 Updates.
If you are concerned you aren’t running the latest version of WDS, please update your main Device42 appliance to the latest version.