To install Device42 within your Microsoft Azure environment, go to the Azure Marketplace to get the Device42 virtual appliance file: https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/device42inc.device42?tab=Overview.
After you download the Device42 virtual appliance file, following steps below to set it up.
Uploading the Device42 VHD to Azure Storage
- Use 7zip to unzip the downloaded file.
- Navigate to portal.azure.com and select Storage Accounts.
- Select the Storage Account where the Device42 VHD is desired to be uploaded to.
- Select the “Containers” underneath “Blob Service”, and then choose or create the desired Container.
- Click on Upload to select the .vhd file downloaded and unzipped earlier.
Create the Device42 Image from Azure Portal
- From the Azure Portal – select Images
- Click on “Add” to create a new image for the D42 VM
- Provide a name for the image.
- Select a location that is the same as the storage location the VHD was uploaded to in earlier steps.
- Make sure to select the Linux OS type, and then “Browse” from “Storage Blob” to locate the storage account and container with the D42 VHD file.
- Click on Create to complete.
Create the VM from Device42 Image
- Select the recently created image and click on “Create VM”.
- When configuring the VM settings for creation please allocate at least 2 CPU and 4 GB’s of Memory as the bare minimum to run.
We typically would recommend to allocate with a combination of 4 vCPU and 8 GB’s or 8 vCPU and 16 GB’s of Memory depending on scale.
- Power on the new machine and login. The default console login is device42 and default password is adm!nd42 (NOTE: Use (ubuntu/default) for power appliance). You can change the password using option 10.
- On the console, configure the IP [option 1] and choose your settings. Please use a STATIC (non-dhcp) IP address for all Device42 related appliances!
- Optional: Create a DNS entry that points to the IP address of the new virtual appliance.
- Point your browser to https://FQDN(Fully_Qualified_Domain_Name) or IP address and you are ready to go.
- The default username for the Device42 web interface is admin and the password is adm!nd42 — please change these as soon as you login.
You are now ready to start discovering & documenting your infrastructure!
default login : device42
default password: adm!nd42
You can change the password with option 10 below.
Next, configure an IP address for the Device42 appliance. A static IP or a DHCP address reservation should be created for the Device42 appliance along with DNS entries for any appliance that will be used in a production setting.
The default password for user device42 can now be changed from the console menu using option 10. The default username/password is admin/adm!nd42. Please be sure to change it after you login.
You can apply updates and do other menu-related work using ssh. Please note that root login has been disabled via ssh.
Lastly, point your browser to the address at the top of the console menu [or your newly created DNS entry] and you’re ready to go.