If you’re relatively new to Device42, this guide will help address some of the most common questions we receive. If you’ve just downloaded Device42, please refer to our getting started guide first, and come back once your Device42 instance is running!
How do I log into my Device42 instance?
By default, you can go to https://IP_or_fqdn_for_device42_vm and use admin/adm!nd42 as username/password.
How do I get my current data into Device42?
These are some of the options to get data into device42:
- Various auto-discovery methods: Depending on your needs, you can run snmp network device discovery, vmware auto-discovery, ping sweep, windows and linux auto-discovery and use individual python/powershell scripts to automate the discovery and inventory process.
- Spread sheet(Excel) import: Tools > Import has lot of excel import options with sample excel sheets. This way you can format your existing spread sheets and bring that data in device42.
- Bulk Import your data from existing spreadsheets using generic import tool.
- or Import data from existing spreadsheets: This link provides a walkthrough on how to best import your existing spreadsheets into device42.
- REST APIs : Programatically automate your network documentation. You can add these to your regular work flow and use device42 as single source of truth for systems such as provisioning and monitoring.
- CSV Import using REST APIs : If excel import option is missing for certain data, you can hook one up in minutes using our CSV Import using REST API helper utility.
- Regular User Interface : And obviously you can use the UI(user interface) to add data :)
- Using templates/bulk operations: Certain types of objects are easier to add using templates or models. For example, PDU models to create PDUs, Switch port templates to create switches and ports, Patch panel models to create patch panel ports and bulk back port connectivity for patch panels.
How do I set up an RC / Remote collector?
Setting up a remote collector is easy! See the RC Setup Instructions which include deployment examples.
How do I migrate my existing data from other tools?
We provide few ready to use scripts to migrate your data from tools like RackTables, Rackmonkey, OpenDCIM, Solarwinds IPAM, Aperture etc. and the download links can be found at Device42 Migration page or at Device42 github repository.
What discovery jobs can I run from a Remote Collector / RC?
Current releases of Device42 support ALL discovery jobs, now including WMI & Power SNMP from RC’s. If you are reading this, all of them! Setup your RC today!
How do I Migrate Existing Power Appliance Jobs to a Remote Collector (RC)
Migrating jobs that were created for the original standalone power appliance is possible with existing tools. Simply follow the existing power job migration guide here to migrate jobs to the new RC of your choice.
How do I add blade servers to Device42?
This topic has been discussed on support portal : How to represent blade servers in device42?
tldr; you add a device with “blade chassis” selected. Then you add devices as type “blade” and choose blade chassis device as the device host.
How do I handle unknown device types?
During initial device discovery, some of devices will show up as type “unknown”. This can be fixed using:
- Changing the associated hardware model would change all associated devices - current and future. This can be done from Data Center > Hardware or Tools > Templates & Bulk Operations > Bulk Hardware edit.
- From Devices > All Devices. You can filter for type “unknown” and bulk change the device type.
- You can export unknown devices in excel format from Reports > Reports > Add report > Device. Edit the excel file to match Tools > Import > Device Import. Change the type and import the excel file.
- Make the change using REST APIs.
How can I create reports?
Data can be exported in excel or csv format using:
- Reports > Reports > Add Report.
- Reports > Generate Run Book
- Tools > Exports (CSV)
- Tools -> Imports/Exports to download current data.
How do I backup my data?
Device42 appliance manager runs at https://your_device42_ip_or_FQDN:4242/
Default username password is d42admin/default
You can create backup from Backup/Restore > Backup now.
This is also discussed under section : appliance manager.
How do I update to the latest release?
You can download the latest release file from Device42 update page.
Tools > Update to upload the update file.
And then option 3 on vm console to apply the update.
Discussed in detail on support portal as Upgrade steps.
How do I Install Device42 xen/kvm appliance if import existing disk image option is missing?
If you are trying to install the Device42 appliance on Xen or KVM based platforms, but the import disk image option is missing, see our page Installing Device42 Appliance but Import to disk is missing
What is the recommended order to run different discoveries?
See the “Recommended Inital Discovery Sequence” section under autodiscovery best practices for full details, but in short: run network discovery first to build your Layer 2 landscape so devices discovered going forward can be added to their appropriate subnet. If devices are discovered before their subnet, you might run into issues.
Where can I get help with something not covered here?
We always recommend searching the Device42 support portal when faced with a question that doesn’t seem to be addressed in our documentation. That said, if you do find one, or get stuck, go ahead and open a support ticket. Send a note to email@example.com or visit the ‘support’ tab at the top of this page.