PagerDuty + Device42 Integration Benefits
- Notify on-call responders based on alerts sent from Device42.
- Customize alerts sent from Device42 using a wide range of user configurable options. These alert types include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Device42 license – days to license expiration
- Individual Power Unit Sensor(s) – temperature / humidity rules for selected sensors
- Any Power Unit Sensor – temperature / humidity rules for any sensor
- Individual Power Unit(s) Infeed – power threshold rules for selected power unit infeeds
- Any Power Unit(s) Infeed – power threshold rules for any power unit infeed
- Power Unit Offline – any power unit gateway is offline
- Individual Bank – power threshold rules for selected PDU bank(s)
- Any Bank – power threshold rules for any PDU bank
- Any UPS – state / threshold rules (battery, voltage, current, load) for any UPS
- Individual Software Count – count / license percentage use for selected software / OS(s)
- Any Software Count – count / license percentage use for any software / OS
- Prohibited Software – when any prohibited is discovered
- Individual Operating System Count – count / license percentage use for selected OS(s)
- Any Operating System Count – count / license percentage use for any OS
- Individual Subnet – percentage use for individual subnet(s)
- Any Subnet – percentage use for any subnet
- Individual Part Model Count – number / percentage available for selected part model(s)
- Any Part Model Count – number / percentage available for selected part model(s)
How it Works
- Device42 metrics that fall outside of a designated range or meet a given criteria will send an event to a service in PagerDuty.
- The Device42 PagerDuty External Integration requires Device42 version 16.14.00 or greater .
- Network access to one of the Device42 Cloud Connectors: connect.device42.net (US) or connect-eu.device42.net (EU)
If you need help with this integration, please contact Device42 Support using any of our listed contact methods.
- Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 9AM – 6PM EST
- Phone: 1 (844) 424-2422
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: https://support.device42.com
Integrating with a PagerDuty Service
- From the Configuration menu, select Services.
- There are two ways to add an integration to a service:
- If adding the integration to an existing service: Click the name of the service, open the Integrations tab, then select the New Integration button.
- If you are creating a new service for your integration: Please read the PagerDuty documentation in section Configuring Services and Integrations and follow the steps outlined in the Create a New Service section, selecting Use our API directly as the Integration Type in step 4. Continue with the In Device42 section (below) once you have finished these steps.
- Enter an Integration Name (e.g., Device42–External-Alerts) and select Use our API directly from the Integration Type menu.
- Click the Add Integration button to save your new integration. You will be redirected to the Integrations tab for your service.
- An Integration Key will be generated on this screen. Keep this key saved in a safe place, as it will be used when you configure the integration with Device42 in the next section.
Configure PagerDuty External Integration
- From the Device42 Dashboard, select Tools > Settings > Global Settings.
- Select the Edit button on the top right of the page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the form to the section labeled External Integration Settings.
- Fill in the information in this section starting with the D42 URL for SaaS apps. This field will contain the URL of your Device42 instance (e.g., https://192.168.92.130/).
- Fill in the Company Name and Email. The email entered will be used as a contact for any integration-related incidents.
- Select the USA option from the Cloud Connector drop down list if this is the region closest to you, otherwise select Europe (ServiceNow Only).
- Select the Save button on the bottom right of the page; the page will reload.
- Scroll back down to the External Integration Settings section and ensure that a Device42 GUID is displayed.
- From the Device42 Dashboard, select Tools > Integrations > External Integrations.
- Select the Add External Integration button on the top right of the screen.
- Enter the PagerDuty URL that will be used for the external integration in the URL field (e.g., https://device42-demo.pagerduty.com).
- Select PagerDuty from the Type drop down field.
- Select the magnifying glass in the Token field; a new window will open.
- In the new window, select the Add Password button located on the top right.
- Enter a Username (e.g., PagerDuty-External-Alerts). This username will act as an alias and be attached to the PagerDuty integration key for future reference.
- Paste the PagerDuty Integration Key in the Password field ensuring that there are no trailing white spaces or new line characters.
- Select the Save button on the bottom right of the window. The window will close and the Token field on the previous window will be populated with a numerical ID that corresponds to the password that you created.
- If the Token field does not populate with an ID, re-select the magnifying glass and select the password from the displayed list.
- Select the Save button on the bottom right of the Add External Integration Form.
You need to configure a Device42 alert to use the PagerDuty external integration to route the alert message to PagerDuty. The following steps will configure a prohibited software alert, but any type of alert can be used with the PagerDuty external integration and would have similar steps.
- From the Device42 Dashboard, select Reports > Setup Alerts.
- Select the Add Alert button on the top right of the screen.
- Enter a Name.
- Select Rule Type: Software.
- Select Trigger: Prohibited Software Installed.
- Select Alert Type: Alert Integration.
- Select Alert Integration: PagerDuty URL.
- Select the Save button on the bottom right.
- Configure software as prohibited.
- From the Device42 Dashboard, select Apps > Software > Software Components.
- Select the software component you want to set as prohibited.
- Select the Edit button on the top right.
- Select Software Type: Prohibited.
- Select the Save button on the bottom right. This marks the software as prohibited and will trigger the alert created in the steps above.
When the alert message is triggered, an incident is reported in PagerDuty.
How to Uninstall
- Navigate to the Configuration menu and select Services.
- Click on the name of the service you want to disable.
- Click the More drop-down menu on the right side, click Disable Service, and click Disable on the confirmation dialog.
- From the Device42 Dashboard, navigate to Tools > Integrations > External Integrations.
- On the External Integrations page, select the checkbox next to the PagerDuty integration you want to remove.
- Navigate to the Action drop-down menu and select the Delete with Detailed Confirmation action.
- Select the Run the selected action icon.
- On the confirmation screen, select Yes, I’m sure.