Device42 BMC Remedy Plugin
Device42’s BMC Remedy Integration plugin can be found on our BMC Remedy Integration page.
Technology Components and Pre-requisites
- BMC Remedy Action Request Server v9.0
- BMC Remedy Plug-in server v9.0 (Pre-installed with AR Server)
- Java 1.8
- MS SQL Server 2008
- Tomcat 7.0.53
- BMC ITSM Incident Management
Import BMC Remedy Definition Files
- Login to BMC Remedy Developer Studio as BMC Remedy Admin (Developer)
- First import “Device42_Forms.def” file
- Import “Device42_IncidentTemplateForm.def” file, This file contains field details needs to be created in OOB HPD:Help Desk form
- Create all the fields in HPD:Help Desk form by referring the Incident Template form
- Import rest of the workflow definition files in the order as below
- Attaching the Character Menu
- After Importing the “Device42_Char_Menu.def”, Open HPD:Help Desk form goto “Device42” Panel -> ObjectType field -> Attach this Char Menu
BMC Remedy configuration data import and configuration
Open “Device42:BaseConfigurations” form in Browser as Admin and create a Record as in “BaseConfigurations.xlsx”
Please note: Update both Device42 user credentials and Remedy user credentials accordingly
Integrate with Incident forms
Below image shows HPD:Help Desk integrated with Device42 panel to display list of Device42 CIs and CIs associated to an incident
On click of View Icon, Device rack, ID 10, Name NHCTDC1R4 Opened in Device42 Page
Install plug-in files
The following steps are specifically for a Windows server. However the same general steps may be adapted for a Linux server. Care needs to be taken to update relevant paths for Linux.
- Copy the d42fa.zip under
- For ex Place the zip file under C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\pluginsvr
- Unzip the d42fa.zip file, a new directory d42fa is created with following lib files:
Configure plug-ins within BMC remedy
The following configuration needs to be done to include the plug-in within BMC.
* Update the following line at the end of list of plugins within ar.conf/ar.cfg under
Server-Plugin-Alias: DEVICE42.RESTAPI.PLUGIN DEVICE42.RESTAPI.PLUGIN <RemedyServer>:9999
Add the following lines in pluginsvr_config.xml under
<AR_INSTALL_DIR>\ pluginsvr directory. Add the lines within
<pluginset> tag at the end:
<plugin> <name>DEVICE42.RESTAPI.PLUGIN</name> <classname>com.device42.bmc.integration.Device42BMCFilter</classname> <filename> <AR_INSTALL_DIR>\/pluginsvr/d42fa/d42fa.jar</filename> <pathelement type="location"><AR_INSTALL_DIR>/pluginsvr/d42fa/d42fa.jar</pathelement> <pathelement type="location"><AR_INSTALL_DIR>/pluginsvr/d42fa/httpclient-4.4.1.jar</pathelement> <pathelement type="location"><AR_INSTALL_DIR>/pluginsvr/d42fa/httpcore-4.4.1.jar</pathelement> <pathelement type="location"><AR_INSTALL_DIR>/pluginsvr/d42fa/jettison-1.3.7.jar</pathelement> <pathelement type="location"><AR_INSTALL_DIR>/pluginsvr/d42fa/stax-api-1.0.1.jar</pathelement> </plugin>
- BMC Remedy AR Server needs to be restarted to recognize and load the new plug-in.
- The integration requires a fixed license user to fetch and update records. This needs to be configured in the Base configuration form
Base configuration form allows to manually trigger the synchronization. The sync process is split into 2 steps for optimal performance. Both these processes need to be executed one after the other.
- Sync where New CIs on Device42 server are newly created and updated attributes of other existing CIs are synched. This can be executed by selecting Operation = “Sync” and modifying the record.
- Mark for Delete where missing ids or deleted CIs in the Device42 server are identified and marked for delete into Remedy AR System. This can be executed by selecting Operation = “Delete” and modifying the record.
Automatic Synchronization through remedy escalation
Automatic synchronization is achieved by automating the above 2 steps using Remedy Escalations.
Enabling detailed logging
The connector uses log4j logging mechanism to log the transaction. To enable detailed logging configure priority value to info from warn in log4j_pluginsvr.xml under
The snapshot of the log shown below:
During manual synchronization, the user can select the item category to selectively synchronize the items.
To synchronize all the object types, the content should be “devices, racks, pdus, parts” (excluding the quotes). If selected items need to be synched then the values can be changed as “devices, parts” or “devices”.
Some of the fields are for internal use only. These fields should not be modified unless there is a need to do so. These are Device Field Ids, Rack Field Ids, PDU Field Ids and Part Field Ids