Auto-Discovery System Requirements
Getting Started - General Discovery System Requirements
The following are pre-requistes and other general requirements and guidelines for successful discovery and optimum performance.
- Create Users with required access**
- Identify IP discovery scope [ranges of interest].
- NOTE: If you are not using IPv6, it is advisable to choose the ‘Ignore IPv6’ option when configuring discovery jobs.
- Minimum system resource configuration for the Device42 appliance: 4 vCPUs and 8GB memory. Ensure that a minimum 1GBPS network connection is present, and that there is a dedicated resource pool for the Device42 VM, and that there are no resource contention issues. Placing the Virtual Appliance’s (Virtual Machine) VHD on SSD is ideal, but not required.
- Windows WMI and Linux discovery can optionally be run from the .NET-based Discovery tool, which is installed and runs on a Windows machine. Make sure that machine has at least 4 vCPUs and 8GB RAM, also with it’s own dedicated resource pool if this machine is a VM.
- WinRM Windows discovery can be run from the main appliance or a Remote Collector. Deploy remote collector(s) to desired network segments and select them when configuring your discovery jobs where appropriate, if desired.
- To (optionally) exclude known service port ranges from discovery, proceed to Settings –> Exclusions and add your desired exclusions to the Autodiscovery application. This will limit the scope and volume of data that is discovered, helping to reduce noise and overhead while shortening the overall discovery time.
**Contact email@example.com with questions regarding specific privilege level requirements for WMI Namespaces, and *nix commands run with or without sudo.
Ports & Protocols Used By Discovery
Device42 will utilize the following ports & protocols for discovery. Ensure that the appropriate ones are allowed through main and target machine firewalls for proper discovery functionality:
UDP/161 - Device42 Appliance
- Networking (SNMP)
- Blade Systems (SNMP)
- Power (SNMP)
TCP/443 - Device42 Appliance & Communication between RC & Main Appliance
- vServers (VMware, OVirt/Redhat, Citrix/Xen)
- Cisco UCS Manager
TCP/22 - Standalone Discovery Tool & Device42 Appliance
- SSH - For *nix & select hypervisor discovery
- ICMP - Device42 Appliance or Standalone Discovery Tool
- UDP/623 - Device42 Appliance - IPMI
TCP/389 or TCP/636 - Device42 Appliance
- Active Directory or AD SSL
- LDAP: Default is port 389 or 636 for LDAPs or LDAP with SSL
TCP/135 & 445 - Standalone Discovery Tool - WMI
- Random ephemeral TCP port(s) between 1024 and 65535 may also be utilized
- TCP/5985 & 5986 - Device42 Appliance - WinRM HTTP & HTTPS Discovery