Auto-Discovery System Requirements
Getting Started - General Discovery System Requirements
The following are pre-requistes and other general requirements and guidelines for successful discovery and optimum performance.
- Create Users with required access**
- Identify IP discovery scope [ranges of interest].
- NOTE: If you are not using IPv6, it is advisable to choose the ‘Ignore IPv6’ option when configuring discovery jobs.
- Minimum system resource configuration for the Device42 appliance: 4 vCPUs and 8GB memory. Ensure there is a dedicated resource pool for the Device42 VM, and that there are no resource contention issues. Placing the Virtual Appliance’s (Virtual Machine) VHD on SSD is ideal, but not required.
- Windows WMI and Linux discovery can be run from .NET Discovery tool, which is installed and runs on a Windows machine. Make sure that machine has at least 4 vCPUs and 8GB RAM, also with it’s own dedicated resource pool if this machine is a VM.
- WinRM Windows discovery can be run from the main appliance or a Remote Collector. Deploy remote collector(s) to desired network segments and select them when configuring your discovery jobs if desired.
- Create a list of known service port ranges that you’d like to exclude from discovery. Add these to Settings –> Exclusions in the Autodiscovery application to limit the scope and volume of data that is discovered, which reduces noise and overhead.
**Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding specific privilege level requirements for WMI Namespaces, and *nix commands run with or without sudo.
Ports & Protocols Used By Discovery
Device42 will utilize the following ports & protocols for discovery. Ensure that the appropriate ones are allowed through main and target machine firewalls for proper discovery functionality:
UDP/161 - Device42 Appliance
- Networking (SNMP)
- Blade Systems (SNMP)
- Power (SNMP)
TCP/443 - Device42 Appliance & Communication between RC & Main Appliance
- vServers (VMware, OVirt/Redhat, Citrix/Xen)
- Cisco UCS Manager
TCP/22 - Standalone Discovery Tool & Device42 Appliance
- SSH - For *nix & select hypervisor discovery
- ICMP - Device42 Appliance or Standalone Discovery Tool
- UDP/623 - Device42 Appliance - IPMI
TCP/389 or TCP/636 - Device42 Appliance
- Active Directory or AD SSL
- LDAP: Default is port 389 or 636 for LDAPs or LDAP with SSL
TCP/135 & 445 - Standalone Discovery Tool - WMI
- Random ephemeral TCP port(s) between 1024 and 65535 may also be utilized
- TCP/5985 & 5986 - Device42 Appliance - WinRM HTTP & HTTPS Discovery